Almond Cookies with Plum and White Chocolate Ganache
- 180g Blanched slivered almonds
- 180g Butter at room temp
- 180g White Sugar
- 200g Plain Flour
- Toasting Almonds
- 100g White Chocolate
- 20g Butter
- 1 tablespoon glucose
- 4-6 tablespoons of cream
- 1 tablespoon ‘Fresh As’ Plum Powder
- Tip: Toast your own almonds at the time you need them as it will ensure they are fresh and fragrant!
- Pop the almonds into a dry frypan and place over medium heat. Don’t venture too far away from the pan as the moment the almonds start to turn golden you need to turn the heat off and let the residual heat toast the final almonds. Add a spoonful of sugar to the almonds and grind with a stick blender.
- Tip: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the almonds to a tall beaker ready to be ground. This way any little burnt bits will be left behind in the frypan.
- Add the sugar and butter to a stand mixer and start it on low speed. As the butter and sugar incorporate you can slowly increase the speed. Continue until the ingredients are pale and nicely amalgamated.
- Tip: Don’t forget to stop the mixer and scrape the sides to make sure there are no streaks of un mixed butter in your dough.
- Add flour and ground nuts and mix together with your hands until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- At this stage the dough will be soft and you will need to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before trying to cook it.
- Place espresso spoon scoopfuls onto a silicone tray and press a little in at the top if you are going to have them as individual cookies. Otherwise leave them as they are and you can sandwich together with the ganache.
- Add chocolate and butter into a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Melt until combined.
- Tip: Once the butter begins to melt you can turn off the heat and allow the steam to assist in melting the white chocolate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of glucose for 15 seconds in the microwave.
- Combine the glucose and chocolate mixture and use a stick blender to combine. The mixture will separate and not look too great - don’t panic!!!
- Add 4-6 tbs of cream and continue to blend until the mixture looks smooth and glossy. Now add the plum powder and you have a delicious ganache to sandwich your cookies together.