I make chilli jam often. I always make it a little differently than the time before so it is hard to write a 'true' recipe. I was initially inspired by Christine Manfield's recipe which I used to follow to the letter when I would cook up huge batches in Indonesia. My maid (and yes I had a maid) would be blown away that I would cook the jam for 12 hours. It was always amazing!! This one is easier and I tend to let it bubble away for 3-4 hours but you could go for longer if you think to start earlier in the day!
- 300g large red chillis
- 50g birds eye chilli
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅛ cup oil
- 1 Tb tamarind paste
- 50g palm sugar (or brown sugar
- 2 tins 400g tomatoes
- Chop the chillies (removing the seeds) and the onions and garlic and blend together in a food proceeor to a paste with the oil.
- Cook the chilli mixture in a heavy pan on a low heat until aromatic and darker - around 1 hour.
- Add in the tamarind paste, palm sugar and tomatoes.
- Cook for 2 to 3 more hours. Stir occasionally to stop it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Store in a large jar in the fridge.