Chocolate Caramel Slice
I may get in trouble for this recipe. It was made for me as a child by my Mum for years and I still believe it is the only reason I had boys come to my house after school when I was in my teens. But, of course, it is a Kiwi slice and it is served in many a cafe so I quietly, hasten to add that mine is an Aussie recipe!!
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self raising flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 150g butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 70g butter
- 150g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a shallow ‘squares’ tin (around 17cm by 26cm) by spraying with Pam spray first and then lining with baking paper.
- In a bowl, sift the two flours together and add in the coconut.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar and allow to melt and combine.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mix and stir to combine completely.
- Press this into your prepared tin and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Melt the butter, honey and condensed milk together in a clean saucepan. Stirring continuously, cook for around another 10 minutes - make sure it doesn’t catch and burn on the bottom. When the base is cool and the condensed milk mixture is ready, pour the mixture onto the top of the baked base.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir to combine completely. Pour over the cooled slice.
- Place in the fridge to set the chocolate topping.
- Lift from the pan and cut into squares to serve.