Deconstructed Apple Crumble
When I cooked with Josh Emmett on MasterchefNZ at Kauri Cliffs I helped him with a crumble element of his dessert. It gave me the idea to try to cook elements separately and I spent a lot of time experimenting in the Masterchef mansion kitchen. I also fell in love with David Chang’s books - including Momofuku ‘Milk’ which is written by Christina Tossi. Her crumb recipe inspired me when I came to my elimination cook off against Ella in Episode 14. Here is the 30 minute crumble - which helped me stay in the competition! What you need: Fruit - whatever you would like - I used apple and strawberry on the show! Simply cook fruit in a little butter and brown sugar until softly stewed - then remove from the heat.
- 40g milk powder
- 40g cornflour
- 40g white flour
- 1 Tbs white sugar
- 55g melted butter
- Heat the oven to 150C
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Melt the butter in the microwave
- Pour the butter into the dry ingredients
- Mix to form clusters - you will have a lovely yellow mixture
- Place on a non stick tray in the oven and cook for 20 minutes
- A couple of times, use a spatula to move the crumb around a little to evenly cook it.
- When it is buttery and golden, remove from the oven.
Tip: You can pop your fruit in a bowl and top with the crumb or you can deconstruct as I did - either way it will taste delicious.