Easter Spinach, Ricotta and Egg Pie
Recipe Type: Main
Often, if in a hurry, I will make a version of this pie using filo pastry. But every once in a while I will have the inclination and the time (and the whole it’s nearly Easter occasion) to make it – pastry and all. It is SO easy. Make the pastry in a Kitchen Aid with a dough hook and while it rests you can make the filling. Throw it all together and into the oven – simple! It is easy to take away with you too – and great to eat cold or warm…………….Yummy!
- 450g plain flour
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 large bunches of silverbeet (around 1 kilo)
- olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 7 eggs
- 100g parmesan cheese
- marjoram or thyme
- 300g ricotta cheese
- Place the flour and salt into a stand mixer bowl with a dough hook attached
- Add the olive oil and start the mixer
- Slowly stream in the warm water until you get a smooth soft dough.
- Allow the mixer to knead the dough for 5 minutes
- Divide the dough into 6 balls, cover with a damp teatowel and set aside whilst you make the filling[br]
- Wash and try the silverbeets making sure there is no grit
- Roll the leaves up and slice into strips
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frypan and add the leek and garlic.
- Cook on a low heat until soft and translucent
- Add the silver beets to the pan and slowly fold over and over to ensure all the silver beet is cooked down – around 3-4 minutes. Add parsley and season
- Drain the silverbeet mixture and transfer to a large bowl – cool a little
- Beat 2 eggs with salt and pepper. Pour over the silverbeats
- Add the ricotta, the parmesan cheese and the marjoram or thyme leaves
Assemble the Pie
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Use cooking spray to lightly grease a round 28-30cm spring form cake tin.
- Dust your bench with flour and roll out 1 piece of dough until it is very thin.
- Carefully drape into the cake pan – allow it to hang over then edges
- Use the cooking spray or brush with olive oil to gently oil the surface
- Roll out another layer of pastry and place over the first
- Again oil this layer of pastry
- Roll out a third ball and place it on top.
- Heave in the spinach mixture and flatten into the pastry case
- Make 5 dips with the back of a spoon. Carefully break an egg into each little well and season with s and p
- Roll out another thin sheet of dough and drape over the pie.
- Brush with oil and continue to use up the balls of dough.
- At the last layer pinch all the edges together and fold them over the top edge to seal the pie.
- Prick gently all over with a fork and brush with more olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.