Eggplant stuffed with mushroom and venison pepperoni
Recipe Type: Main
Tessa Kiros inspired me with a recipe for stuffed Eggplants from Falling Cloudberries. I decided to see what I had in the fridge and make it up as I went along. The result was so yummy…………..
- olive oil
- 3 eggplants, sliced in half from head to toe and stem removed
- handful of button mushrooms, brushed and diced
- several slices of Blackball Salami – Venison Pepperoni – diced
- Simon Gaults Indian Spice Rub
- Smoked Paprika
- 2 tins tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable)
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Carefully remove the flesh out of the eggplant halves
- Take the eggplant ‘shells’ and brush the insides and sprinkle with sea salt
- Place in a roasting dish and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes
- Chop all the eggplant flesh into cubes.
- Combine the eggplant and mushrooms and venison cubes.
- Sprinkle with Indian Spice and Paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a frypan and throw all the eggplant mix in.
- Cook it until the eggplant and mushrooms soften and the aroma is delicious!
- Remove from the frypan
- Clean the pan and heat some more olive oil
- Crush the garlic and cook gently in the oil until it smells lovely
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, sugar and stock.
- Cook off for around 20-30 minutes
- Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Carefully pile the eggplant filling into the shells
- Top with the tomato sauce and some fresh coriander
Tip:[br]If you wish to you can do all in advance and reheat to serve[br]NB. My family decided this was yummy with grated parmesan on the top (extra salt and bite!!)