Eggplant stuffed with Veal
Recipe Type: Mains
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
This seems to be a recurring theme – we love eggplant and they are wonderful when they are over stuffed as they make a terrific main course for a quiet night at home. This recipe calls for fresh veal but of course you can substitute and use mushrooms if you wish to keep it vegetarian. You could also use beef or sausage mince. I have baked the eggplants here before removing the flesh which is an alternate way to start !
- Olive Oil
- 2 Large European Eggplants
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced into slivers
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 150g veal fillet, freshly minced
- garlic salt
- 4 fresh tomatoes (or 1 tin of Italian tomatoes)
- 1 cup red wine
- coriander leaves
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Heat an oven to 180C
- Chop the tops off the two eggplants and slice the eggplants in half vertically
- Make small incisions in the white flesh of each eggplant half and poke in the slivers of garlic. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Close each half with it’s matching half and wrap the whole eggplant in alfoil.
- Place side by side on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until soft
- Meantime, heat a little olive oil in a frypan and very gently sweat the onion and celery until soft and fragrant.
- Increase the heat to medium and add in the minced veal and a good grind of garlic salt, stir continuously to brown the meat.
- Once the meat is all browned, tip in the red wine and allow it to simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- With a sharp knife make a cross on the bottoms of the fresh tomatoes (through the skin)
- Plunge the tomatoes into the boiling water for 1-2 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.
- When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins and chop into small dice.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and gently remove the soft white flesh with a spoon – taking care not to tear the skins. Chop the flesh into small dice sizes.
- Return the skins to the oven tray – ready to fill
- Add the eggplant flesh and tomato flesh to the veal mixture and cook a few moments to combine flavours. Check the seasoning and add more salt if required
- Toss through some fresh coriander for colour and flavour and pile the mixture into the eggplant shells.
- Combine the mozzarella and breadcrumbs in a bowl and sprinkle over the top.
- Return the filled eggplants to the oven to bake and melt the cheese – around 12 minutes
- Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil to serve (or an Al Brown flavoured oil!!)