Fougasse with Marjoram
- 7g instant yeast
- pinch caster sugar
- generous pinch Marlborough Seasalt Flakes
- handful of marjoram leaves
- 450g plain flour
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over 125ml warm water in a small bowl.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and leave for 10 minutes until foaming.
- Meantime place the flour, leaves, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the yeast mixture and an extra 185ml warm water and turn on the mixer.
- Once the dough has pulled together, continue to knead for 8 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with a warm damp cloth.
- Allow the dough to rise for around 2 hours.
- Take the dough and punch it back gently. Divide into 8 pieces.
- Flour a bench and roll each piece into an oblong shape.
- Take a knife and make some diagonal slits through the bread. Pull gently from end to end.
- Grease two trays and lay 4 fougasse’ on each tray.
- Brush with olive oil. Cover with damp cloths.
- Allow to rest for another 20 minutes.
- At this time heat your oven to 200C.
- Bake the breads for around 20 minutes until golden.