This is a close cousin to the Saigon Sponge – a quick and easy buttery vanilla cake filled with white chocolate ganache, raspberry jelly and coated with dark chocolate ganache before being sprinkled with a chilli chocolate crumbly crunch!! If you get a chance to buy a wonderful new NZ product: ‘Kokoleka Hot Chilli’ then you can utilise it for the crumbly crunch – it will also make your life easier and yummier when you need a hot chocolate fix!!
- Butter Cake
- 250g butter, soft
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 eggs
- 21/2 cups self raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 160g white chocolate
- 35g butter
- 2 Tbs glucose
- 1/3 cup cream
- 4 Tbs Raspberry freeze dried powder
- 4 Tbs caster sugar
- 3 tsp gelatin
- 500ml water
- Dark Ganache
- 150ml cream
- 300g dark chocolate
- 40g milk powder
- 40g flour
- 25g sugar
- a shake of cayenne pepper powder
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- 60g melted butter
- 20g milk powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Pam spray a 24cm deep round cake pan
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla and sugar for 6 minutes, until soft and fluffy and pale. Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
- Add the eggs and beat to combine completely. Add the flour and milk alternatively until the mixture is truly homogenous.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a non-fan forced oven for around 40-45 minutes until cooked through and golden
- Cool in pan 15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack until completely cool.[br]
White Chocolate Ganache
- Combine the white chocolate and butter in a bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Allow the mixture to melt and remove from the hear.
- Add room temperature glucose and mix with a stick blender.
- The mixture will look awful – don’t panic!
- Pour in the cream and use the stick blender to mix until the mixture returns to a lovely smooth finish.
- Allow to firm up in the fridge
- Mix 100ml warm water with the gelatin to dissolve the gelatin
- Top up to 500ml of water
- Sprinkle over the raspberry powder and stir to combine
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve
- Pour into an ice making mould and place in the fridge to set.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Place the ingredients in a bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Allow to melt together.
- Stir to smooth and allow to cool and set slightly
Chocolate Chilli Crunch
- Heat the oven to 100C
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl – toss to combine
- Add the melted butter and stir to form clumps
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for around 20 minutes until they are sandy.
- Cool completely
- Add extra milk powder and toss to cover.
- Cut the butter cake in half horizontally (carefully so that the halves are even!)
- Spread the white chocolate ganache onto the top of the bottom half and use a palette knife to spread evenly
- Top with lumps of the set jelly
- Add the roof of the cake
- Pour over the dark chocolate ganache
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chilli crumbly crunch
- Enjoy this quirky concoction!!!!
NB. If you are using the Kokoleka product then substitute 2Tbs of the hot chilli chocolate and omit the sugar, cayenne and cocoa powder from above!