A Trinidad friend posted a photo of these on her facebook page and indicated she couldn't wait to get back to Trinidad for some!! I looked up the recipe, tweaked and played and here we are - so excited when I find new things to try 🙂 I put them with my own Chilli Jam - you can spice them up with your favourite chutney or sauce. The kids will eat them plain - and will munch their way through them quickly!!
- 2 cups dhal flour (or chickpea flour)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced/pureed
- 1- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron powder or turmeric
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- warm water
- oil for deep frying
- Mix dhal flour with all ingredients except water.
- Add enough water to make a thick batter. Let rest for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in heavy pot.
- Drop batter, a teaspoon at a time into the hot oil, and let cook until puffed and golden brown. (this will happen almost immediately!)
- Best eaten straight away.
- I had a pot of my homemade chilli jam and they were brilliant with it. Other options are a mango or tamarind chutney I believe!!!!!!
- Or pile them into a cardboard cone for the kids as they are racing out the door!!!!!!