When I watch my boys and their friends whip up some scones and smother them in strawberry jam and freshly whipped cream – it reminds me that the simple things in life are truly unbeatable. It’s as easy as ABC…………..
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 1 Tbs caster sugar
- 40g butter, chopped into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- jam and cream
- Heat your oven to 220C.
- Tip the flour and sugar into a bowl and mix together.
- Add in the butter and use your fingers to rub it into the flour.
- Pour in the buttermilk and using a butter knife, mix it together to form a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a board or directly on to the bench top.
- Use your hands to gently form the dough into a flat circle shape and using a round cookie cutter, cut out your scones.
- Use any left over bits to form some extra scones.
- Place the scones onto a non-stick tray and let them touch each other.
- Brush the tops of the scones with some milk.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Tip 1: Don’t play with the dough – scone dough doean’t like to be over handled[br]Tip 2: You can tap on the scones to check if they are cooked – they should sound hollow.[br]Tip 3: Use a stick blender to help whip the cream – make sure you stop when the cream is just starting to thicken – this is the perfect whipped cream!!!!