Coconut Banana Cakes, Ginger Syrup
These are totally delicious gluten free cakes. Made with fresh bananas, coconut flour and cocoa they are divine alone but even better with a sinful ginger syrup transformed into a caramel style sauce. Top with softly whipped cream and some macerated berries – what more could you ask for.
- 1 cup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 170g salted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 large bananas
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs sour cream
- Ginger Caramel Sauce
- 60g butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 Tbs ginger syrup – (I use Hakanoa Handmade)
- Heat on the stove until slightly thick. Pour into a small jug
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Spray muffin tins with baking spray.
- Combine butter and sugars in a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 6-8 minutes until the ingredients are well creamed. Scrape down the bowl and the beater.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the bowl again (the mixture will look terrible but don’t worry it will all come together!)
- Combine coconut flour, cocoa and baking soda together in a separate bowl.
- Alternatively add the flour mixture, then the mashed banana, and then sour cream. Repeat until finished. Make sure the mixture is combined but don’t over mix.
- Fill muffin tins with the batter and cook for 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye on them – they may take just the 20 minutes to cook.
- Cool on a wire rack.