This is a close cousin to the Saigon Sponge – a quick and easy buttery vanilla cake filled with white chocolate ganache, raspberry jelly and coated with dark chocolate ganache before being sprinkled with a chilli chocolate crumbly crunch!! If you get a chance to buy a wonderful new NZ product: ‘Kokoleka Hot Chilli’ then you can utilise it for the crumbly crunch – it will also make your life easier and yummier when you need a hot chocolate fix!!
- Butter Cake
- 250g butter, soft
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 eggs
- 21/2 cups self raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 160g white chocolate
- 35g butter
- 2 Tbs glucose
- 1/3 cup cream
- 4 Tbs Raspberry freeze dried powder
- 4 Tbs caster sugar
- 3 tsp gelatin
- 500ml water
- Dark Ganache
- 150ml cream
- 300g dark chocolate
- 40g milk powder
- 40g flour
- 25g sugar
- a shake of cayenne pepper powder
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- 60g melted butter
- 20g milk powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Pam spray a 24cm deep round cake pan
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla and sugar for 6 minutes, until soft and fluffy and pale. Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
- Add the eggs and beat to combine completely. Add the flour and milk alternatively until the mixture is truly homogenous.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a non-fan forced oven for around 40-45 minutes until cooked through and golden
- Cool in pan 15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack until completely cool.[br]
White Chocolate Ganache
- Combine the white chocolate and butter in a bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Allow the mixture to melt and remove from the hear.
- Add room temperature glucose and mix with a stick blender.
- The mixture will look awful – don’t panic!
- Pour in the cream and use the stick blender to mix until the mixture returns to a lovely smooth finish.
- Allow to firm up in the fridge
- Mix 100ml warm water with the gelatin to dissolve the gelatin
- Top up to 500ml of water
- Sprinkle over the raspberry powder and stir to combine
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve
- Pour into an ice making mould and place in the fridge to set.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Place the ingredients in a bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Allow to melt together.
- Stir to smooth and allow to cool and set slightly
Chocolate Chilli Crunch
- Heat the oven to 100C
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl – toss to combine
- Add the melted butter and stir to form clumps
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for around 20 minutes until they are sandy.
- Cool completely
- Add extra milk powder and toss to cover.
- Cut the butter cake in half horizontally (carefully so that the halves are even!)
- Spread the white chocolate ganache onto the top of the bottom half and use a palette knife to spread evenly
- Top with lumps of the set jelly
- Add the roof of the cake
- Pour over the dark chocolate ganache
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chilli crumbly crunch
- Enjoy this quirky concoction!!!!
NB. If you are using the Kokoleka product then substitute 2Tbs of the hot chilli chocolate and omit the sugar, cayenne and cocoa powder from above!
Please follow and like us: