Roasted Pumpkin and Carrot Salad
- 1/2 Pumpkin - cut into bite sized chunks
- 3-4 Carrots - cut into 3-4 pieces each
- Olive Oil
- Moroccan Seasoning or your favourite roasting spices
- Flat Leaf Parsley - roughly chopped
- 1 cup Quick Cooking Pearl Barley
- 100 g Pinenuts
- 1 Red Onion - thinly sliced
- Honey Mustard Dressing you can purchase one if easier!
- Moroccan Seasoning Mix
- 5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Mix the ingredients together and store in a tightly sealed jar.[br]
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup Dijon mustard mild
- 2/3 cup honey liquid
- 1 3/4-2 cups light olive oil ok to use grape seed oil
- 1/2 to taste sea salt to taste
- 1/2 to taste pepper
Heat the oven to 200C Toss the pumpkin in olive oil and Moroccan spice mix. Pile into a roasting tray and pop in the oven for around 30-40 minutes until lovely and golden. Toss the carrots in olive oil and Moroccan spice mix.
Pile into another roasting tray and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until lovely and golden. Meantime boil a large saucepan full of water (around 3 - 4 cups of water). When it is boiling add the pearl barley and cook until tender but firm to the bite. (read your packet for cooking times as it can vary) Drain the pearl barley and set aside.
Heat a frypan without any oil and add the pinenuts. Toss them over a medium flame in the dry pan. You want them to toast golden (watch them as they will go black VERY quickly!) Assemble your salad to taste.
Toss together the roasted vegetables, add the pearl barley, the flat leaf parsley, sliced onion and the honey mustard dressing. Finally add in the toasted pine-nuts and season with salt and pepper.[br]
Dressing Whisk the vinegar, mustard and honey together. Slowly pour in enough oil to create a lovely vinaigrette. Add salt and pepper to taste.