Slow Roasted Pork Belly
When the weather turns in Auckland, it truly turns, and what better than the aroma of pork belly slow roasting in the oven!
- 1kg pork Belly – skin on and scored finely
- Smoked Garlic Salt
- dried chilli flakes
- 1 lemon – juice and grated zest
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- If you have a day then pop your pork belly onto a rack and place inside a deep baking dish. Pop this into the bottom of your fridge and leave overnight. This dries out the skin which will help to keep it super crisp when you cook it.
- Shake a truly decent amount of your smoked garlic salt into a bowl with the olive oil and lemon juice and zest – this is your rub. Rub all over the pork skin and let it rest while you heat the oven.
- Heat the oven to 220C.
- Pour a little water into the baking tray and keep the pork on the rack to cook it. Place in the oven and set a timer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 170C and allow the meat to roast for around 21/2 to 3 hours. The pork will be tender and rich and the skin will be super crispy.
- Rest the pork belly for around 20 minutes before slice up and serving. This is extremely delicious……..I’m warning you!!!!!