Sticky Sweet Marzipan Bread
Recipe Type: Treats
There is nothing more delicious than the smell of bread baking – and nothing more divine than a sticky sweet bread studded with fruit and marzipan – Yum!
- 250g mixed dried fruit
- Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 100g Marzipan – chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar and 2 Tbs ground cinnamon combined
- 2 egg yolks beaten with a spoonful of warm water
- 125g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbs – your favourite Fresh As freeze dried powder (we used plum)
- Dough Ingredients
- 1 sachet instant yeast
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 41/2 cups bread (high gluten) flour
- 100ml thin cream
- 50ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 80g butter, melted, cooled
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Place the fruit and orange juice and zest in a bowl. Cover and set aside – overnight if possible.
- Combine the yeast, 3 tsp sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl.
- Cover and stand until frothy (around 15 minutes)
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and salt to the flour in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine cream, milk, eggs, butter and oil.
- Make a well in the flour
- Add in the foaming yeast and the wet ingredients.
- Knead to pull it all together
- Transfer to a clean bowl and cover with a damp tea towel in a warm spot for a couple of hours
- Knock back the dough and pop into an electric mixer with a dough hook and let the machine knead it for around 6 minutes.
- (otherwise knead by hand until smooth and elastic – around 10 minutes)
- Heat the oven to 190C
- Grease and line a 24cm spring form cake pan
- Divide the dough into three pieces to make it manageable.
- Roll into rectangles
- Brush each piece with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and scatter with soaked fruits and marzipan
- Roll up the rectangles to form a log
- Cut each into 8 equal rounds.
- Arrange each round into the cake pan with the cut side facing up.
- Cover with a clean, damp tea towel for a further 30 minutes.
- Brush the tops with the egg yolk glaze.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix icing sugar and freeze dried powder together with some warm water to form a runny icing. When the bread is still slightly warm, drizzle with the icing and allow to set.
- This is totally divine to eat at this point – and equally yummy the next day if you can hold off on eating it all at once!